[MPlayer-users] Need help shortening MPlayer load time
stan
2017-05-24 00:49:34 UTC
On Wed, 24 May 2017 00:25:44 +0000
Right now I am running mplayer in idle mode, so that it is already
up and running when I send it something later on. My problem now is
that it is taking the program 8-10 seconds just to load up all of the
codecs, drivers, etc. that it loads up when it starts. Is there any
way to keep if from loading everything, because all I want it to do
when I send it something is to play a simple wav file. I don't need
all of the codecs for video, streaming, all of the fonts for
sub-titles, etc.
I just want it launched bare-bones as quickly as possible just to
play wav files.
What happens if you give it the -novideo option, so it knows it is only
dealing with audio? On my linux box, it plays a wav file in less than
a second the first time with that option, and nearly instaneously on
subsequent plays. Admittedly, linux organizes its dynamic libraries
differently than windows, so my experience might not be relevant.
Eric Tullock
2017-05-24 00:55:43 UTC
Well, that did it.

It was almost instantaneous. Thanks for the help.