[MPlayer-users] Question: making mplayer run as a windows service
Eric Tullock
2017-05-21 20:48:18 UTC
Is there any way to set up MPlayer to run in Windows as a service. I have tried setting it up, and it is in the list, but the app will not launch from the services manager, powershell, command line, etc.?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Paolo Bolzoni
2017-05-22 07:50:19 UTC
Windows services are special programs (microsoft likes complexity),
but there are programs to execute any program as service (like
http://nssm.cc/). Still what are you trying to achieve?
Eric Tullock
2017-05-22 11:21:33 UTC
Paolo,

Thank you for your help.

What I am trying to achieve is a quicker startup from MPlayer (like right after a re-boot or after MPlayer has sat dormant for a day). I don't want MPlayer to do anything but play wav files, I do not need it to play movies, weird DVDs, VHCDs, or any of that. All I need it to do is play wav files, period. But what happens is that if I re-boot my machine, or if it sits idle for a while (say 12 hours) and then I call on it to play a certain wav file, it can take MPlayer up to 30 seconds to load and play that file. It is especially noticeable after a re-boot.

So, I was wondering if there was some way to get MPlayer to either: 1.) boot up with support to play ONLY wav files, so that it doesn't load up all of the fonts, all the other drivers, etc., or 2.) load up from boot by running as a service in the background so that it doesn't have to load every time it is called upon, so that it plays the wav file almost immediately whenever it is called on.

Thanks,
Eric

Richard Kuenz
2017-05-22 11:52:55 UTC
Sorry for interrupting,
There is a very nice player
for playing audio from terminal command line called cmus.

Paolo Bolzoni
2017-05-22 16:24:46 UTC
Check the options -idle and -slave. You will need a little client to
send commands to the mplayer service, however since you just need to
play wavs it should be fairly easy.
Richard Kuenz
2017-05-22 17:36:11 UTC
I have another question please,

on a imac g5 running osx 10.5.8
using macports could install mplayer 1.3 or similar -
which is being used in conjunction with youtube-viewer (perl program,
terminal based, to access youtube) -
so happy that it playbacks https://streams.
but the playback is somewhat differed, eg. slower than the underlying audio;

does someone know of a tweak to make it more in "tune" with the played
stream?
it should be in tune also when playing back and skpping forth;
it has a radeon graphics with 128mb vram

thank you in advance.
Paolo Bolzoni
Paolo Bolzoni
2017-05-24 14:23:49 UTC
I am fairly sure mplayer will continue to work in idle mode until:
-it receives a quit command,
-some kind of error happens in mplayer,
-some kind of error happens in the OS,
-the system get shut down,
-the universe ends.

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Phil Rhodes
If that's the mode it stays in when it's in slave mode, it certainly used to be many hours.
Sent: Wednesday, 24 May 2017, 11:59
Paolo,
Do you know how long MPlayer will stay in the "idle" mode? Does this need to be refreshed every so often?
Thanks,
Eric
Windows services are special programs (microsoft likes complexity),
but there are programs to execute any program as service (like http://nssm.cc/).
Still what are you trying to achieve?
Eric Tullock
2017-05-24 14:28:51 UTC
Paolo,

That is what I was hoping. I am doing some testing with it now. I have it running and also having a powershell script check it every minute and it will notify me if it stops.

I'll let everyone know what I find out. If it doesn't stop in 25 hours I'll call that "never ending".

Thanks for the advice and help. Greatly appreciate it.

Eric

Paolo Bolzoni
2017-05-24 08:16:13 UTC
I do not use windows and in my system mplayer starts in half a second
tops. So I cannot really help you in that, and as far as I know
mplayer does not really load anything unneeded.
Paolo, Thank you. This finally worked for me. I had to do some gyrations of the command within powershell but finally got it working.
BTW - MPlayer is taking about 8-10 seconds to load everything before it comes up and ready to play anything. Like I stated before all I want it to do is play wav files that I feed it (no video, no translations, no sub-texts, etc.). SO is there any way to get it to load any faster by telling it not to load everything on the planet before it actually starts?
Thanks,
Eric