[MPlayer-users] DLNA support?
John Long
2018-01-30 05:41:41 UTC

I have been using mplayer command line for a long time. I like it
because of the huge amount of codecs it supports. I don't have anything
it can't play as far as I know. Thank you to all the devs.

I have a few questions but I'll try to ask them one at a time. The
first one is how do I use mplayer with a DLNA server. I am ok if I need
a wrapper or some piece of middleware but I would like to get this
working somehow.

My setup is a router device running minidlna and I have a Linux box and
a music player with DLNA client support on the LAN. I can access the
media content on my music player and via vlc, but I remain clueless how
to do it from mplayer. mplayer is running on a Fedora Linux box.

Is there a recommended way to do this? I would prefer not to use a GUI
as I believe I have to do to access the DLNA content via vlc.

Thanks,

/jl
Pierre Frenkiel
2018-02-03 10:58:40 UTC
Post by John Long
Hi,
I have been using mplayer command line for a long time. I like it
because of the huge amount of codecs it supports. I don't have anything
it can't play as far as I know. Thank you to all the devs.
I can access the
media content on my music player and via vlc, but I remain clueless how
to do it from mplayer. mplayer is running on a Fedora Linux box.
Did you try using djmount on your Linux box.
It works perfectly on mine, and I can then use any player (including
mplayer) on the mounted devices.

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel
John Long
2018-02-03 19:42:36 UTC
Thank you, I think this is the kind of suggestion I was hoping for!

But is it possible to use mplayer command line and still browse a
directory tree? Or does that mean I have to use a graphical front-end?

Thanks!

/jl
Post by Pierre Frenkiel
Hi,
best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel
2018-02-03 20:15:45 UTC
Post by John Long
Thank you, I think this is the kind of suggestion I was hoping for!
But is it possible to use mplayer command line and still browse a
directory tree? Or does that mean I have to use a graphical front-end?
The principle of all mounts(NFS or djmount,...) is that you can access
mounted files as if they were local.
So, any player, graphical or not, working for local files will work
for mounted files. For example, I can use either vlc or mplayer
to display videos...

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel
John Long
2018-02-03 20:29:14 UTC
Thanks, I installed it. It's a little quirky but works ok. Good
suggestion, thank you.

Can I navigate from mplayer command line? Or do I have to know the
exact /path/to/file

Thanks

/jl
best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel
2018-02-04 09:52:15 UTC
Post by John Long
Thanks, I installed it. It's a little quirky but works ok. Good
suggestion, thank you.
Can I navigate from mplayer command line? Or do I have to know the
exact /path/to/file
I don't know what you mean by "navigate from the command line"

May-be, you could look at "man mplayer"?
You have 2 solutions:

1/ navigate, with the "cd" command, to the folder containing the file,
and then "mplayer file"

2/ "mplayer /path/to/file"

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel
John Long
2018-02-04 09:58:28 UTC
Post by Pierre Frenkiel
Post by John Long
Thanks, I installed it. It's a little quirky but works ok. Good
suggestion, thank you.
Can I navigate from mplayer command line? Or do I have to know the
exact /path/to/file
I don't know what you mean by "navigate from the command line"
May-be, you could look at "man mplayer"?
Yes, it's a good idea. So I did it many times before asking here ;)
Post by Pierre Frenkiel
1/ navigate, with the "cd" command, to the folder containing the file,
and then "mplayer file"
2/ "mplayer /path/to/file"
None of these choices are very good. I have a half terabyte of music
and everything is arranged with proper directory names. Without some
way to navigate the directory tree it is not reasonable. Like midnight
commander front-end to mplayer, etc.

Anyway thanks for your suggestion about djmount. It's a good start.

/jl
Pierre Frenkiel
2018-02-04 10:08:54 UTC
Post by John Long
None of these choices are very good. I have a half terabyte of music
and everything is arranged with proper directory names. Without some
way to navigate the directory tree it is not reasonable. Like midnight
commander front-end to mplayer, etc.
did you try the "locate" command?

best regards,
Pierre Frenkiel
Alexander Strasser
2018-02-04 23:18:25 UTC
Hi!
[...]
Post by John Long
Post by Pierre Frenkiel
1/ navigate, with the "cd" command, to the folder containing the file,
and then "mplayer file"
2/ "mplayer /path/to/file"
None of these choices are very good. I have a half terabyte of music
and everything is arranged with proper directory names. Without some
way to navigate the directory tree it is not reasonable. Like midnight
commander front-end to mplayer, etc.
Last time I tried there was a way to select a file
with the OSD menu. But maybe your MPlayer version
doesn't have it, because by default OSD menu support
is disabled. You can enable it by passing --enable-menu
to configure before building.

There is currently no active developer for the OSD menu
and I do not think it has many users, but maybe it still
works and suits your needs.

[...]

Alexander