[MPlayer-users] Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-17 00:20:22 UTC
Is this the correct place to ask questions
on mplayer2?

Problem:

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

It doesn't seem to come with a `--version' option but
the Debian repos tells me their version of it is:

Version: 1:2.0~git20130903-dmo7
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Matus UHLAR - fantomas
2015-07-17 06:14:52 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
Is this the correct place to ask questions
on mplayer2?
no.
Post by Emanuel Berg
cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
pt-get install nvidia-vdpau-driver
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, ***@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Fucking windows! Bring Bill Gates! (Southpark the movie)
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-18 01:46:31 UTC
Post by Matus UHLAR - fantomas
Post by Emanuel Berg
Is this the correct place to ask questions
on mplayer2?
no.
OK, never mind as mplayer has the same problem for me:

Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory [vdpau]

and:

Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
Post by Matus UHLAR - fantomas
pt-get install nvidia-vdpau-driver
That didn't work.

$ lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Peter White
apt-get install libvdpau-va-gl1 i965-va-driver
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-18 08:02:05 UTC
Nicolas George
2015-07-18 09:15:21 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
Post by Peter White
apt-get install libvdpau-va-gl1 i965-va-driver
I already had those, but I reinstalled just to be
Assuming you are actually trying to use VDPAU and not trying to NOT use it
(you forgot to mention what your goal was exactly), you need to direct it to
use a different driver than NVidia:

VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl; export VDPAU_DRIVER

If that solves the problem, please do not forget to post closure on the
debian-user thread.

Regards,
Nicolas George
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-18 09:31:18 UTC
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-18 09:41:32 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
Post by Nicolas George
VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl; export VDPAU_DRIVER
Yes, that changed the output, however
Worse:

* mplayer2 doesn't display video properly with
this setting.

* mplayer does (what I can see so far), however
playback hangs when I go from X to the ttys:

[VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure.
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Nicolas George
2015-07-18 09:47:38 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
* mplayer2 doesn't display video properly with
this setting.
Forget about mplayer2.
Post by Emanuel Berg
* mplayer does (what I can see so far), however
Then the problem is fixed.
I suspect you will need to take that issue to the X.org developers.
Post by Emanuel Berg
[VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure.
This is unrelated and not a problem.

Regards,
Nicolas George
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-18 09:58:00 UTC
Then the problem is fixed ... This is unrelated and
not a problem.
I switch from X to the ttys all the time.

If this is the way the problem is "fixed" I prefer it
the old way which only produced that annoying
error message.
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Reimar Döffinger
2015-07-18 10:09:18 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
Then the problem is fixed ... This is unrelated and
not a problem.
I switch from X to the ttys all the time.
If this is the way the problem is "fixed" I prefer it
the old way which only produced that annoying
error message.
If you just don't want the error message, simply do
not use -vo vdpau.
(Or depending on what the default is, explicitly
select a different default like -vo gl)
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-18 19:41:43 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
If you just don't want the error message, simply do
not use -vo vdpau. (Or depending on what the default
is, explicitly select a different default like -vo
gl)
I don't what the error message but I also don't want
the error that causes it.

I have not been using '-vo vdpau' or any other
specification of the video driver or video settings.
It is just a normal invocation:

mplayer -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null

(The -no... stuff is just to mute the corresponding
error messages.)

I tried with '-vo gl' and mplayer still crashes when
I switch from X and back. Also, I get this error:

[AO_ALSA] pcm resume error: File descriptor in bad state

All this is much worse than the previous state because
now it actually doesn't work.
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Nicolas George
2015-07-19 10:03:47 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
I don't what the error message
What error message exactly?
Post by Emanuel Berg
I tried with '-vo gl' and mplayer still crashes when
I switch from X and back.
What if you try glxgears instead of MPlayer?

Regards,
Nicolas George
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-19 22:54:41 UTC
Post by Nicolas George
What error message exactly?
$ mplayer -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5.
s3fb: Couldn't map S3 registers: Operation not permitted
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1

$ VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl mplayer -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5.
s3fb: Couldn't map S3 registers: Operation not permitted
libva info: VA-API version 0.36.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_36
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Nicolas George
2015-07-20 07:24:53 UTC
<snip>
If you seriously hope for help on mailing-lists, you have to be precise.
There was two questions in my email, you only replied to one, and badly at
that (the question had "exactly" in it).

Regards,
Nicolas George
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-20 23:10:01 UTC
Post by Nicolas George
If you seriously hope for help on mailing-lists, you
have to be precise. There was two questions
If you mean "What if you try glxgears instead of
MPlayer?" the answer is I don't know what would happen
then, and I don't know how to try either.
Post by Nicolas George
in my email, you only replied to one, and badly at
that (the question had "exactly" in it).
Here is the output to stderr. $@ are the media files
because I have a shell wrapper, but otherwise the
commands are isolated and could have been invoked as:

$ mplayer1 -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5.
s3fb: Couldn't map S3 registers: Operation not permitted
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1

$ mplayer1 -vo gl -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null
(no output, but crashes on tty/X switch)

$ VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl mplayer1 -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5.
s3fb: Couldn't map S3 registers: Operation not permitted
libva info: VA-API version 0.36.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_36
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
(also, this crashes like the '-vo gl' solution)
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Reimar Döffinger
2015-07-19 14:37:04 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
I tried with '-vo gl' and mplayer still crashes when
Well, there is still the even older stuff like -vo xv or
-vo x11 (with -zoom), but they are kind of a bad idea.
Over all this sounds like your graphics card driver stack
is very thoroughly broken.
I'd expect you get the same behaviour with glxgear or any
other program that uses OpenGL like games and potentially
even browsers (though the might have code to handle the
brokenness better).
On my system (with AMD card and OpenSource drivers) the behaviour is as follows:
-vo x11, -vo xv and -vo vdpau: Video continues as playing as normal while on terminal
-vo gl: Video stops while on terminal, but resumes fine after switching
back

Well, I guess VDPAU is likely to behave the same as -vo gl
if you use va_gl and they haven't implemented some workarounds.
I think OpenGL execution stopping when switching to a terminal
is a known bug, but it should at least resume normally after.
That should not in any way the related to the -vo used.
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-19 22:57:56 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
[...]
What is interesting, with no option whatsoever to
specify this, and the incorrect assumption from
mplayer I use nvidia, while producing the annoying
error message, it doesn't have any of these problems.
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Reimar Döffinger
2015-07-20 19:42:18 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
What is interesting, with no option whatsoever to
specify this, and the incorrect assumption from
mplayer I use nvidia, while producing the annoying
error message, it doesn't have any of these problems.
MPlayer does not assume you have an NVidia card (and
neither does the message come from MPlayer, but from
libvdpau I guess, which being a project started by
NVidia has reasonable reason to assume you use NVidia
when it can't find any other working implementation).
It just tries all methods to output video it knows
about, with the most efficient ones first.
If the result of that auto-detection works for you
and you don't want to change actual behaviour (I think
everyone thought you wanted VDPAU to work) I see two options
1) Just ignore the messages from the probing
2) Figure out which VO it actually selects in the end
(I suspect xv) and specify that explicitly (e.g. -vo xv).
Same behaviour minus irrelevant messages.
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-20 23:14:24 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
MPlayer does not assume you have an NVidia card (and
neither does the message come from MPlayer, but from
libvdpau I guess, which being a project started by
NVidia has reasonable reason to assume you use
NVidia when it can't find any other working
implementation). It just tries all methods to output
video it knows about, with the most efficient ones
first. If the result of that auto-detection works
for you and you don't want to change actual
behaviour (I think everyone thought you wanted VDPAU
to work) I see two options 1) Just ignore the
messages from the probing 2) Figure out which VO it
actually selects in the end (I suspect xv) and
specify that explicitly (e.g. -vo xv).
Same behaviour minus irrelevant messages.
I don't really care what technology is at work as long
as it works. I tought the NVidia error message was
indicative of something failing that should be fixed,
but if you say there is no need to I'm fine with that.
If VDPAU more closely corresponds to my hardware I'd
like to use that, of course, but if it associated with
other problems such as the tty/X crash I can't have
that happening, for sure.

OK, '-vo xv' doesn't give any error messages and so
far hasn't crashed either. I've said that before, but
some time must be the last :)

Thank you!
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Matus UHLAR - fantomas
2015-07-21 05:41:57 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
I don't really care what technology is at work as long
as it works. I tought the NVidia error message was
indicative of something failing that should be fixed,
but if you say there is no need to I'm fine with that.
If VDPAU more closely corresponds to my hardware I'd
like to use that, of course, but if it associated with
other problems such as the tty/X crash I can't have
that happening, for sure.
OK, '-vo xv' doesn't give any error messages and so
far hasn't crashed either. I've said that before, but
some time must be the last :)
I'd try to compare vdpau and xv to see which uses less of CPU time
- vdpau is supposed to do more on the graphics card than xv.
I'd use vdpau if it behaved better
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, ***@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-21 21:04:37 UTC
Post by Matus UHLAR - fantomas
I'd try to compare vdpau and xv to see which uses
less of CPU time - vdpau is supposed to do more on
the graphics card than xv. I'd use vdpau if it
behaved better
With "vdpau", what invocation do you mean exactly?

And, do you have a good method to quantify CPU use?

From playing the same file for roughly the same time,
while using top(1), I observed this CPU usage for the
different invocations:

mplayer1 -vo xv -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null # ~5%
mplayer1 -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null # ~5%
mplayer1 -vo gl -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null # ~5-6%
VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl mplayer1 -nojoystick -nolirc -loop 0 -fs $@ > /dev/null # ~9-10%
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Matus UHLAR - fantomas
2015-07-31 07:15:56 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
Post by Matus UHLAR - fantomas
I'd try to compare vdpau and xv to see which uses
less of CPU time - vdpau is supposed to do more on
the graphics card than xv. I'd use vdpau if it
behaved better
With "vdpau", what invocation do you mean exactly?
-vo vdpau and -vo xv
Post by Emanuel Berg
And, do you have a good method to quantify CPU use?
either what mplayer tells you, or what 'top' gives you.
Post by Emanuel Berg
Post by Matus UHLAR - fantomas
From playing the same file for roughly the same time,
while using top(1), I observed this CPU usage for the
was VDPAU used in this case?
seems that using GL either directly or for VDPAU emulation does not make
sense if XV is used...
--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, ***@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
2B|!2B, that's a question!
Peter White
2015-07-18 10:25:36 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
Then the problem is fixed ... This is unrelated and
not a problem.
I switch from X to the ttys all the time.
If this is the way the problem is "fixed" I prefer it
the old way which only produced that annoying
error message.
The problem seems to be with the VA-API driver or somewhere else.
I just checked and I can swtich back and forth between X and tty*
without a hiccup.
I am using the mesa-vdpau-driver though, because I have an AMD card.
Since it works with a different driver, the problem is not caused by
mplayer.
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-18 19:48:55 UTC
Post by Peter White
The problem seems to be with the VA-API driver or
somewhere else. I just checked and I can swtich back
and forth between X and tty* without a hiccup. I am
using the mesa-vdpau-driver though, because I have
an AMD card. Since it works with a different driver,
the problem is not caused by mplayer.
Wait, I also have the mesa- stuff installed:

i mesa-vdpau-drivers - Mesa VDPAU video acceleration drivers
i mesa-vdpau-drivers-dbg - Debugging symbols ...

Perhaps there is some mismatch at work?

What card do I have? What drivers do I need? How do
I tell mplayer (the whole system?) to use that and
nothing else?

Card:

$ lspci | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)

Drivers:

i libvdpau-va-gl1 - VDPAU driver with OpenGL/VAAPI backend
i A i965-va-driver - VAAPI driver for Intel G45 & HD Graphics

Invocation:

VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl (or '-vo gl')

Did I forget anything or should it work?

If it doesn't work, can I reinstall anything (e.g., X)
to purge a misconfig down the road if that is
the hypothesis?
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Reimar Döffinger
2015-07-19 14:24:41 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl (or '-vo gl')
VDPAU (va_gl) and -vo gl are completely different things,
they do different things, they are used for different
things and they mostly use different code paths.
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-19 22:53:11 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Emanuel Berg
VDPAU_DRIVER=va_gl (or '-vo gl')
VDPAU (va_gl) and -vo gl are completely different
things, they do different things, they are used for
different things and they mostly use different
code paths.
Indeed, '-vo gl' does not give the error message!
And it doesn't crash when I switch to/from X!

Thank you! Let's hope that is it.

The strange thing is I never needed it before. Why all
media players suddenly started to think I used
something else isn't anything I'll examine, tho.
--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Emanuel Berg
2015-07-19 22:58:56 UTC
Post by Emanuel Berg
Post by Reimar Döffinger
VDPAU (va_gl) and -vo gl are completely different
things, they do different things, they are used for
different things and they mostly use different
code paths.
Indeed, '-vo gl' does not give the error message!
And it doesn't crash when I switch to/from X!
Thank you! Let's hope that is it.
It wasn't. I spoke too soon. Sometimes it crashes and
as you say in the other post, it stops, which it
shouldn't but I didn't notice until now because it
always crashed altogether.