[MPlayer-users] Can mplayer plays Disney dvds?
Tuan Nguyen
2015-02-26 10:16:24 UTC
Hi

it seems that mplayer has problems with
playing Disney dvds with 99 titles.
I have tried a couple of ways (changing -vo, -vc,
trying with all titles) but have not been successful yet.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Tuan
Erik Auerswald
2015-02-26 12:29:57 UTC
Post by Tuan Nguyen
it seems that mplayer has problems with
playing Disney dvds with 99 titles.
I have tried a couple of ways (changing -vo, -vc,
trying with all titles) but have not been successful yet.
Any ideas?
You can try dvdnav:// instead of dvd://.

I have at least one Disney DVD MPlayer cannot play correctly. It only works
with dvdnav://, but there are lots of hangs, probably while the DVD
tracks or titles are changed during playback.

I did not find a single title to play the whole movie, but I did not try
every one of the 99 titles.

VLC plays that DVD without problems. I prefer to use MPlayer with dvd://
for watching DVDs, but sometimes only VLC can play disc.

[I do have a couple of other Disney DVDs that work fine with MPlayer using
dvd:// (or dvd://MOVIETITLE).]

Best regards,
Erik
--
Always use the right tool for the job.
-- Rob Pike
Tuan Nguyen
2015-02-27 03:41:39 UTC
Post by Erik Auerswald
Hi,
Post by Tuan Nguyen
it seems that mplayer has problems with
playing Disney dvds with 99 titles.
I have tried a couple of ways (changing -vo, -vc,
trying with all titles) but have not been successful yet.
Any ideas?
You can try dvdnav:// instead of dvd://.
I have at least one Disney DVD MPlayer cannot play correctly. It only works
with dvdnav://, but there are lots of hangs, probably while the DVD
tracks or titles are changed during playback.
I did not find a single title to play the whole movie, but I did not try
every one of the 99 titles.
VLC plays that DVD without problems. I prefer to use MPlayer with dvd://
for watching DVDs, but sometimes only VLC can play disc.
[I do have a couple of other Disney DVDs that work fine with MPlayer using
dvd:// (or dvd://MOVIETITLE).]
Best regards,
Erik
Thanks alot Erik.

Using dvdnav:// does give a better result as the player now can
keep playing (while using dvd:// the player stops after a while
without showing any images) but the images are still not clear (codec errors?)

Best Regards,
Tuan
Tuan Nguyen
2015-02-27 06:31:16 UTC
Post by Tuan Nguyen
Thanks alot Erik.
Using dvdnav:// does give a better result as the player now can
keep playing (while using dvd:// the player stops after a while
without showing any images) but the images are still not clear (codec errors?)
I pulled the trigger early. The dvd menu is displayed but when
I press "Play" the same problem (the player stops after awhile
without showing any images" happens. For more details:

[mpeg2video @ 0x1030194c0]ac-tex damaged at 13 4
Assertion lastInChrBuf + 1 - chrSrcSliceY >= 0 failed at libswscale/swscale.c:504

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: decode_video
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Tuan.
Reimar Döffinger
2015-02-27 19:59:17 UTC
Post by Tuan Nguyen
Post by Tuan Nguyen
Thanks alot Erik.
Using dvdnav:// does give a better result as the player now can
keep playing (while using dvd:// the player stops after a while
without showing any images) but the images are still not clear (codec errors?)
I pulled the trigger early. The dvd menu is displayed but when
I press "Play" the same problem (the player stops after awhile
Assertion lastInChrBuf + 1 - chrSrcSliceY >= 0 failed at libswscale/swscale.c:504
That looks like a libavcodec/FFmpeg bug.
Try with -noslices.
It makes decoding a good bit slower, but it's not well tested in
FFmpeg...
Roger Pack
2015-03-25 18:11:27 UTC
Post by Tuan Nguyen
Post by Erik Auerswald
Hi,
Post by Tuan Nguyen
[...]
If they look like garbled green guck then it may be that they are
encrypted and you don't have decryptor [libdvdcss library]
installed...

Matt Zagrabelny
2015-02-26 14:06:01 UTC
Post by Tuan Nguyen
Hi
it seems that mplayer has problems with
playing Disney dvds with 99 titles.
I have tried a couple of ways (changing -vo, -vc,
trying with all titles) but have not been successful yet.
Any ideas?
When encountering misbehaving Disney DVDs, this is the process I use:

ddrescue -n -b 2048 /dev/dvd disney.iso disney.log
dvdbackup -i disney.iso -o disney_backup -M -n DISNEY

Then you have a VIDEO_TS directory in disney_backup and can:

mplayer -dvd-device disney_backup dvd://78

Where 78 is the title that is sniffed from my standalone DVD player.

Probably not the answer you were looking for. :)

-m
Erik Auerswald
2015-02-26 15:47:29 UTC
Post by Matt Zagrabelny
Post by Tuan Nguyen
it seems that mplayer has problems with
playing Disney dvds with 99 titles.
[...]
[...]
mplayer -dvd-device disney_backup dvd://78
Where 78 is the title that is sniffed from my standalone DVD player.
I assume you use the title number displayed by the DVD player. Does
anybody know if we can get this information from MPlayer while using
dvdnav://? Or another good idea to identify the title track?

I am using the simple heuristic to look for the longest title on a DVD.
This often works, but not for my problematic Disney DVD. It does not
work for some other DVDs either, but with a sensible amount of possible
titles (that are in the ballpark of the movie length) this can be found
out manually.

Thanks,
Erik
--
Do things that have never been done before.
-- Russell Kirsch
Matt Zagrabelny
2015-02-26 17:03:24 UTC
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Erik Auerswald
Post by Erik Auerswald
Hi,
Post by Matt Zagrabelny
Post by Tuan Nguyen
it seems that mplayer has problems with
playing Disney dvds with 99 titles.
[...]
[...]
mplayer -dvd-device disney_backup dvd://78
Where 78 is the title that is sniffed from my standalone DVD player.
I assume you use the title number displayed by the DVD player.
Yep. Totem also does a good job displaying the title once things get
going. Xine will display the title number for a small (< 1s) amount of
time. My standalone player will also display the title number for a
small (< 1s) amount of time.

-m
Tuan Nguyen
2015-02-27 03:46:10 UTC
Post by Matt Zagrabelny
Post by Erik Auerswald
Post by Matt Zagrabelny
mplayer -dvd-device disney_backup dvd://78
Where 78 is the title that is sniffed from my standalone DVD player.
I assume you use the title number displayed by the DVD player.
Yep. Totem also does a good job displaying the title once things get
going. Xine will display the title number for a small (< 1s) amount of
time. My standalone player will also display the title number for a
small (< 1s) amount of time.
-m
I have not tried ddrescure. I will do that. About getting the
correct title, yes, you are right, I use VLC
or default DVD player on Mac. I will try totem and
Xine as well.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Tuan.
Alexander Roalter
2015-03-05 15:13:01 UTC
Post by Erik Auerswald
Hi,
Post by Matt Zagrabelny
Post by Tuan Nguyen
it seems that mplayer has problems with
playing Disney dvds with 99 titles.
[...]
[...]
mplayer -dvd-device disney_backup dvd://78
Where 78 is the title that is sniffed from my standalone DVD player.
I assume you use the title number displayed by the DVD player. Does
anybody know if we can get this information from MPlayer while using
dvdnav://? Or another good idea to identify the title track?
I use mplayer dvdnav:// -v
after I hit "play main feature" in the DVD menu, mplayer outputs the
"switching to title 'x'" on the console. That is then the correct title.

Don’t know how that could be obtained programmatically, though, it
probably requries running the DVD-VM.
Post by Erik Auerswald
I am using the simple heuristic to look for the longest title on a DVD.
This often works, but not for my problematic Disney DVD. It does not
work for some other DVDs either, but with a sensible amount of possible
titles (that are in the ballpark of the movie length) this can be found
out manually.
This probably also doesn’t work on Disney DVDs, as many titles are
simply the chapters of the main feature but juggled around, and some
titles are even longer, when a longer chapter is played twice instead of
another chapter etc.
--
cheers,
Alex