[MPlayer-users] video does not scale to fullscreen with -vo xv
Tamas Papp
2016-03-06 08:30:53 UTC

on my new Dell XPS 13 (2016, skylake), when I toggle fullscreen with f,
the video is just centered in the middle of the screen at its original
size, with a blue frame around it. This is a problem because the display
is HiDPI, so very little is visible.

-vo gl works fine.

Version information below.

Best,

Tamas

~ $ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 3200 x 1800, maximum 32767 x 32767
eDP1 connected primary 3200x1800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 294mm x 165mm
3200x1800 59.98*+ 47.99
2880x1620 60.00
2560x1440 60.00
2048x1536 60.00
1920x1440 60.00
1856x1392 60.01
1792x1344 60.01
2048x1152 60.00
1920x1200 59.95
1920x1080 60.00 59.93
1600x1200 60.00
1680x1050 59.95 59.88
1600x1024 60.17
1400x1050 59.98
1600x900 60.00
1280x1024 60.02
1440x900 59.89
1280x960 60.00
1368x768 60.00
1360x768 59.80 59.96
1152x864 60.00
1280x720 60.00
1024x768 60.00
1024x576 60.00
960x540 60.00
800x600 60.32 56.25
864x486 60.00
640x480 59.94
720x405 60.00
640x360 60.00
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
~ $ uname -a
Linux tamas 4.4.3-040403-generic #201602251634 SMP Thu Feb 25 21:36:25 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
~ $ dpkg -l xorg
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-========================================-=========================-=========================-======================================================================================
ii xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3 amd64 X.Org X Window System
~ $ ~ $ mplayer -v
MPlayer 1.2.1 (Debian), built with gcc-5.3.1 (C) 2000-2016 MPlayer Team
CPU vendor name: GenuineIntel max cpuid level: 22
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6560U CPU @ 2.20GHz (Family: 6, Model: 78, Stepping: 3)
extended cpuid-level: 8
extended cache-info: 16801856
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNowExt: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1 SSE3: 1 SSSE3: 1 SSE4: 1 SSE4.2: 1 AVX: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
get_path('codecs.conf') -> '/home/tamas/.mplayer/codecs.conf'
Reading optional codecs config file /home/tamas/.mplayer/codecs.conf: No such file or directory
Reading optional codecs config file /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: No such file or directory
Using built-in default codecs.conf.
init_freetype
Using MMX (with tiny bit MMX2) Optimized OnScreenDisplay
get_path('fonts') -> '/home/tamas/.mplayer/fonts'
Usage: mplayer [options] [url|path/]filename

Basic options: (complete list in the man page)
[cropped]

vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..
Andy Furniss
2016-03-06 10:39:19 UTC
Post by Tamas Papp
Hi,
on my new Dell XPS 13 (2016, skylake), when I toggle fullscreen with f,
the video is just centered in the middle of the screen at its original
size, with a blue frame around it. This is a problem because the display
is HiDPI, so very little is visible.
-vo gl works fine.
I would use gl :-)
Post by Tamas Papp
~ $ ~ $ mplayer -v
Showing output from playing something would confirm but I guess it's
using x11 software output/scale/csc which is not as good as other
hardware accelerated outputs like gl.

If you are getting -vo x11 then adding -zoom will allow it to scale.
Reimar Döffinger
2016-03-06 10:44:06 UTC
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Tamas Papp
Hi,
on my new Dell XPS 13 (2016, skylake), when I toggle fullscreen with f,
the video is just centered in the middle of the screen at its original
size, with a blue frame around it. This is a problem because the display
is HiDPI, so very little is visible.
-vo gl works fine.
I would use gl :-)
As it likely is not picked over -vo x11 that should mean it is software
OpenGL, which is not exactly a good choice.
Or the auto-detection of software rendering is broken.
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Tamas Papp
~ $ ~ $ mplayer -v
Showing output from playing something would confirm but I guess it's
using x11 software output/scale/csc which is not as good as other
hardware accelerated outputs like gl.
If you are getting -vo x11 then adding -zoom will allow it to scale.
Which will work not very well either.
If it is x11 vo then then also means XVideo is not working (or not
compiled in is an option, too).
Or if it is using xv, then it is broken.
Either way it seems very likely the primary answer is "fix your graphics
card drivers first".
But yes the actual -v output playing something should confirm.
Andy Furniss
2016-03-06 11:01:56 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
Hi,
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Tamas Papp
~ $ ~ $ mplayer -v
Showing output from playing something would confirm but I guess it's
using x11 software output/scale/csc which is not as good as other
hardware accelerated outputs like gl.
If you are getting -vo x11 then adding -zoom will allow it to scale.
Which will work not very well either.
If it is x11 vo then then also means XVideo is not working (or not
compiled in is an option, too).
Or if it is using xv, then it is broken.
Either way it seems very likely the primary answer is "fix your graphics
card drivers first".
Yea, but if they turn out to be working/get fixed it's still intel, so
at the risk of being undiplomatic here I would consider trying mpv as
it should be able to use vaapi for h/w dec/post processing.
Reimar Döffinger
2016-03-06 11:21:05 UTC
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
Showing output from playing something would confirm but I guess it's
using x11 software output/scale/csc which is not as good as other
hardware accelerated outputs like gl.
If you are getting -vo x11 then adding -zoom will allow it to scale.
Which will work not very well either.
If it is x11 vo then then also means XVideo is not working (or not
compiled in is an option, too).
Or if it is using xv, then it is broken.
Either way it seems very likely the primary answer is "fix your graphics
card drivers first".
Yea, but if they turn out to be working/get fixed it's still intel, so
at the risk of being undiplomatic here I would consider trying mpv as
it should be able to use vaapi for h/w dec/post processing.
There are wrappers to use VA-API as VDPAU (libvdpau-va-gl1) and have
it working with MPlayer.
Though for the normal use-cases (and at least if power draw is not
a major concern) hardware acceleration is just an unnecessary pain.
It's often slower (limited to e.g. 60 FPS when the CPU can easily do
300, which has some impact on seek performance for example), has
really pathetic error concealment, lacks many of the encoder bug
workarounds needed especially for MPEG-4 ASP content etc.
Andy Furniss
2016-03-06 11:53:56 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
Showing output from playing something would confirm but I guess it's
using x11 software output/scale/csc which is not as good as other
hardware accelerated outputs like gl.
If you are getting -vo x11 then adding -zoom will allow it to scale.
Which will work not very well either.
If it is x11 vo then then also means XVideo is not working (or not
compiled in is an option, too).
Or if it is using xv, then it is broken.
Either way it seems very likely the primary answer is "fix your graphics
card drivers first".
Yea, but if they turn out to be working/get fixed it's still intel, so
at the risk of being undiplomatic here I would consider trying mpv as
it should be able to use vaapi for h/w dec/post processing.
There are wrappers to use VA-API as VDPAU (libvdpau-va-gl1) and have
it working with MPlayer.
Yea, it's a while since I played with intel, but IIRC it only worked
for vo rather than decode, but then I didn't try very hard.
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Though for the normal use-cases (and at least if power draw is not
a major concern) hardware acceleration is just an unnecessary pain.
It's often slower (limited to e.g. 60 FPS when the CPU can easily do
300, which has some impact on seek performance for example), has
really pathetic error concealment, lacks many of the encoder bug
workarounds needed especially for MPEG-4 ASP content etc.
True, but, skylake can probably do hevc which is not so easy and the
OP has a laptop.

cherryview/braswell which I think are similar gen but low power can
do main level 6.2

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/hardware-specification-prms

Shame it's only 8 bit, looks like you'll need broxton (whatever that is)
to get 10bit -

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/intel-driver/log/

I know there are vaapi patches for mplayer - it would be good if they
could be fixed. Since the thread on devel stopped I have retested (AMD)
several times in the hope that I could declare working, but no luck.

I'll retry again as time permits, because it seems a shame that they
apparently worked OK on intel.

Ignoring hw dec the post processing on recent intel chips is quite good
when I was testing a baytrail (10W TDP) it has a nice motion adaptive
de-interlace with edge interpolation which would be expensive for HD on CPU.
Reimar Döffinger
2016-03-06 12:07:18 UTC
Post by Andy Furniss
I know there are vaapi patches for mplayer - it would be good if they
could be fixed. Since the thread on devel stopped I have retested (AMD)
several times in the hope that I could declare working, but no luck.
By this I conclude you are using the binary drivers??
I am not convinced your chances of making anything work reliably
with them are good.
AMD with the OpenSource drivers provides VDPAU and works fairly well
in my experience.
Andy Furniss
2016-03-06 12:13:52 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
I know there are vaapi patches for mplayer - it would be good if they
could be fixed. Since the thread on devel stopped I have retested (AMD)
several times in the hope that I could declare working, but no luck.
By this I conclude you are using the binary drivers??
No, I am opensource, mesa + AMD can now use vaapi and it works
with mpv - but it crashed with the patch.
in my experience.
Reimar Döffinger
2016-03-06 12:22:54 UTC
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
I know there are vaapi patches for mplayer - it would be good if they
could be fixed. Since the thread on devel stopped I have retested (AMD)
several times in the hope that I could declare working, but no luck.
By this I conclude you are using the binary drivers??
No, I am opensource, mesa + AMD can now use vaapi and it works
with mpv - but it crashed with the patch.
That is either very new, or via wrapper, judging by e.g.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VA-API
Either way it doesn't seem like a great idea, especially
when you on top of all get fewer features.
Andy Furniss
2016-03-06 12:38:18 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
I know there are vaapi patches for mplayer - it would be good if they
could be fixed. Since the thread on devel stopped I have retested (AMD)
several times in the hope that I could declare working, but no luck.
By this I conclude you are using the binary drivers??
No, I am opensource, mesa + AMD can now use vaapi and it works
with mpv - but it crashed with the patch.
That is either very new, or via wrapper, judging by e.g.
It's newish
Post by Reimar Döffinger
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VA-API
"This article or section needs expansion.

Reason: This revision contained some information about libva-mesa-driver
and LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=gallium, which should be added here"
I don't know their motivation.
Andy Furniss
2016-03-06 13:39:24 UTC
Post by Andy Furniss
True, but, skylake can probably do hevc which is not so easy and the
OP has a laptop.
cherryview/braswell which I think are similar gen but low power can
do main level 6.2
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/hardware-specification-prms
Shame it's only 8 bit, looks like you'll need broxton (whatever that is)
to get 10bit -
Looking more it may be that skylake can do 10bit - I am not sure, but if
it can that's a lot more useful.
Andy Furniss
2016-03-06 23:59:52 UTC
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Andy Furniss
True, but, skylake can probably do hevc which is not so easy and the
OP has a laptop.
cherryview/braswell which I think are similar gen but low power can
do main level 6.2
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/hardware-specification-prms
Shame it's only 8 bit, looks like you'll need broxton (whatever that is)
to get 10bit -
Looking more it may be that skylake can do 10bit - I am not sure, but if
it can that's a lot more useful.
Seems it doesn't though.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/vaapi/intel-driver/tree/README

Tamas Papp
2016-03-06 11:09:31 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Andy Furniss
Hi,
Post by Andy Furniss
Post by Tamas Papp
~ $ ~ $ mplayer -v
Showing output from playing something would confirm but I guess it's
using x11 software output/scale/csc which is not as good as other
hardware accelerated outputs like gl.
If you are getting -vo x11 then adding -zoom will allow it to scale.
Which will work not very well either.
If it is x11 vo then then also means XVideo is not working (or not
compiled in is an option, too).
Or if it is using xv, then it is broken.
Either way it seems very likely the primary answer is "fix your graphics
card drivers first".
But yes the actual -v output playing something should confirm.
Thanks for the help. See the -v output below. If this is indeed a
graphics driver bug, please help me by identifying it and I will check
if it is reported already, and if not, report it.

Best,

Tamas

[...]
Configuration: --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer --enable-debug --enable-xvmc --enable-menu --disable-arts --language=all --disable-libmpeg2-internal --disable-ffmpeg_a --extra-cflags=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 --extra-ldflags=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,--as-needed --enable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-joystick --enable-radio --enable-radio-capture --disable-gui
CommandLine: '-v' 'output' '-vo' 'xv' 'Space Oddity-KaOC9danxNo.mp4'
Using nanosleep() timing
get_path('input.conf') -> '/home/tamas/.mplayer/input.conf'
Reading optional input config file /home/tamas/.mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory
Parsing input config file /etc/mplayer/input.conf
Input config file /etc/mplayer/input.conf parsed: 92 binds
Setting up LIRC support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.
get_path('output.conf') -> '/home/tamas/.mplayer/output.conf'

Playing output.
get_path('sub/') -> '/home/tamas/.mplayer/sub/'
File not found: 'output'
Failed to open output.

get_path('Space Oddity-KaOC9danxNo.mp4.conf') -> '/home/tamas/.mplayer/Space Oddity-KaOC9danxNo.mp4.conf'

Playing Space Oddity-KaOC9danxNo.mp4.
get_path('sub/') -> '/home/tamas/.mplayer/sub/'
[file] File size is 71402358 bytes
STREAM: [file] Space Oddity-KaOC9danxNo.mp4
STREAM: Description: File
STREAM: Author: Albeu
STREAM: Comment: based on the code from ??? (probably Arpi)
libavformat version 56.40.101 (external)
Configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=1ubuntu1 --build-suffix=-ffmpeg --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --cc=cc --cxx=g++ --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-stripping --disable-decoder=libopenjpeg --disable-decoder=libschroedinger --enable-avresample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libzmq --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencv
LAVF_check: QuickTime / MOV
libavformat file format detected.
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7fe14b082e00]ISO: File Type Major Brand: mp42
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7fe14b082e00]Protocol name not provided, cannot determine if input is local or a network protocol, buffers and access patterns cannot be configured optimally without knowing the protocol
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7fe14b082e00]Before avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 101051 bytes read:131072 seeks:0
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7fe14b082e00]All info found
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x7fe14b082e00]After avformat_find_stream_info() pos: 102209 bytes read:131072 seeks:0 frames:13
==> Found video stream: 0
======= VIDEO Format ======
biSize 78
biWidth 1280
biHeight 720
biPlanes 1
biBitCount 24
biCompression 875967048='H264'
biSizeImage 2764800
Unknown extra header dump: [1] [64] [0] [1f] [ff] [e1] [0] [17] [67] [64] [0] [1f] [ac] [b4] [2] [80] [2d] [d8] [8] [80] [0] [1] [f4] [80] [0] [5d] [c0] [7] [8c] [19] [50] [1] [0] [4] [68] [ee] [3c] [b0]
===========================
[lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
==> Found audio stream: 1
======= WAVE Format =======
Format Tag: 20557 (0x504D)
Channels: 2
Samplerate: 44100
avg byte/sec: 23999
Block align: 1
bits/sample: 16
cbSize: 16
Unknown extra header dump: [12] [10] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0] [0]
[lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0, -alang und
LAVF: 1 audio and 1 video streams found
LAVF: build 3680357
VIDEO: [H264] 1280x720 24bpp 23.976 fps 1534.3 kbps (187.3 kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:44 fourcc:0x34363248 size:1280x720 fps:23.976 ftime:=0.0417
Clip info:
major_brand: mp42
minor_version: 0
compatible_brands: isommp42
creation_time: 2014-03-07 15:37:27
Load subtitles in ./
get_path('sub/') -> '/home/tamas/.mplayer/sub/'
X11 opening display: :0
vo: X11 color mask: FFFFFF (R:FF0000 G:FF00 B:FF)
vo: X11 running at 3200x1800 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0" => local display)
[x11] Detected wm supports NetWM.
[x11] Detected wm supports FULLSCREEN state.
[x11] Detected wm supports ABOVE state.
[x11] Detected wm supports BELOW state.
[x11] Current fstype setting honours FULLSCREEN ABOVE BELOW X atoms
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_va_gl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
[VO_XV] Using Xv Adapter #0 (Intel(R) Video Sprite)
[xv common] Drawing colorkey manually.
[xv common] Using colorkey from Xv (0x0101fe).
[xv common] Maximum source image dimensions: 8192x8192
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
libavcodec version 56.60.100 (external)
Configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=1ubuntu1 --build-suffix=-ffmpeg --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --cc=cc --cxx=g++ --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-stripping --disable-decoder=libopenjpeg --disable-decoder=libschroedinger --enable-avresample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-openal --enable-opengl --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libzmq --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-libopencv --enable-version3 --disable-doc --disable-programs --disable-avdevice --disable-avfilter --disable-avformat --disable-avresample --disable-postproc --disable-swscale --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libvo_aacenc --enable-libvo_amrwbenc
INFO: libavcodec init OK!
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
dec_audio: Allocating 1536000 + 131072 = 1667072 bytes for output buffer.
FFmpeg's libavcodec audio codec
INFO: libavcodec "aac" init OK!
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, floatle, 192.0 kbit/6.80% (ratio: 23999->352800)
Selected audio codec: [ffaac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/floatle -> 0Hz/0ch/??...
[libaf] Adding filter dummy
[dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/floatle
[dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/floatle
Trying preferred audio driver 'pulse', options '[none]'
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz 2ch floatle (4 bytes per sample)
AO: Description: PulseAudio audio output
AO: Author: Lennart Poettering
Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/floatle -> 44100Hz/2ch/floatle...
[dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/floatle
[dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/floatle
Starting playback...
Increasing filtered audio buffer size from 0 to 92288
[ffmpeg] aspect_ratio: 1.777778
VDec: vo config request - 1280 x 720 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
Trying filter chain: vo
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
SwScale params: -1 x -1 (-1=no scaling)
Trying filter chain: scale vo
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO Config (1280x720->1280x720,flags=0,'MPlayer',0x32315659)
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 5 -> 4
[swscaler @ 0x7fe14b326fa0]bicubic scaler, from yuv420p to yuyv422 using MMXEXT
[swscaler @ 0x7fe14b326fa0]1280x720 -> 1280x720
[swscaler @ 0x7fe14b326fa0]lum srcW=1280 srcH=720 dstW=1280 dstH=720 xInc=65536 yInc=65536
[swscaler @ 0x7fe14b326fa0]chr srcW=640 srcH=360 dstW=640 dstH=720 xInc=65536 yInc=32768
REQ: flags=0x437 req=0x0
VO: [xv] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Packed YUY2
VO: Description: X11/Xv
VO: Author: Gerd Knorr <***@goldbach.in-berlin.de> and others
Xvideo image format: 0x32595559 (YUY2) packed
Xvideo image format: 0x59565955 (UYVY) packed
Xvideo image format: 0x18424752 (RGB) packed
using Xvideo port 75 for hw scaling
*** [scale] Exporting mp_image_t, 1280x720x12bpp YUV planar, 1382400 bytes
*** [vo] Allocating mp_image_t, 1280x720x16bpp YUV packed, 1843200 bytes
Unicode font: 5366 glyphs.
Unicode font: 5366 glyphs.
A: 12.6 V: 12.6 A-V: 0.000 ct: 0.042 0/ 0 25% 17% 0.4% 0 0
Uninit audio filters...
[libaf] Removing filter dummy
Uninit audio: ffmpeg
Uninit video: ffmpeg
vo: uninit ...

Exiting... (Quit)
Reimar Döffinger
2016-03-06 11:27:55 UTC
Post by Tamas Papp
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Which will work not very well either.
If it is x11 vo then then also means XVideo is not working (or not
compiled in is an option, too).
Or if it is using xv, then it is broken.
Either way it seems very likely the primary answer is "fix your graphics
card drivers first".
But yes the actual -v output playing something should confirm.
Thanks for the help. See the -v output below. If this is indeed a
graphics driver bug, please help me by identifying it and I will check
if it is reported already, and if not, report it.
I don't know what that hardware is supposed to support, but
it does look fairly broken to me.
Post by Tamas Papp
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_va_gl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Note that installing that could be worth a try to see if at least VDPAU
works. It is not the cause of your issues, just a potentially
nice work-around.
But if -vo gl works with good performance it should be a good solution
as well.
Post by Tamas Papp
[VO_XV] Using Xv Adapter #0 (Intel(R) Video Sprite)
So it uses XVideo. Not sure what capabilities "Video Sprite" implies
though.
Post by Tamas Papp
VO: [xv] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Packed YUY2
This is already really bad. It means XVideo doesn't support planar 4:2:0
video.
Even -vo gl supports that one fine, so there no good reason for that
IMHO.
It can't be seen from the log, but probably the non-functional
scaling is a bug (or missing feature) of that driver, too.
(I would consider it a bug, as there's no sane reason to implement
and advertise XVideo at all if it can't even do scaling)
Note: xvinfo (a small tool to list information about the
XVideo implementation) might give some useful information, too.
Tamas Papp
2016-03-06 11:59:56 UTC
Post by Reimar Döffinger
Post by Tamas Papp
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_va_gl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Note that installing that could be worth a try to see if at least VDPAU
works. It is not the cause of your issues, just a potentially
nice work-around.
Thanks -- indeed it works fine after installing the library.
Post by Reimar Döffinger
It can't be seen from the log, but probably the non-functional
scaling is a bug (or missing feature) of that driver, too.
(I would consider it a bug, as there's no sane reason to implement
and advertise XVideo at all if it can't even do scaling)
Note: xvinfo (a small tool to list information about the
XVideo implementation) might give some useful information, too.
Here is the output:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
Adaptor #0: "Intel(R) Video Sprite"
number of ports: 1
port base: 75
operations supported: PutImage
supported visuals:
depth 24, visualID 0x20
number of attributes: 2
"XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 16777215)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 66046)
"XV_ALWAYS_ON_TOP" (range 0 to 1)
client settable attribute
client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
maximum XvImage size: 8192 x 8192
Number of image formats: 3
id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x59565955 (UYVY)
guid: 55595659-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
bits per pixel: 16
number of planes: 1
type: YUV (packed)
id: 0x18424752
guid: 50415353-5448-524f-5547-485247423234
bits per pixel: 32
number of planes: 1
type: RGB (packed)
depth: 24
red, green, blue masks: 0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff

Best,

Tamas
Reimar Döffinger
2016-03-06 12:15:30 UTC
Post by Tamas Papp
Post by Reimar Döffinger
[...]
That looks looks extremely barren.
No YV12 support, no selection of colourspace
conversion (BT.709 or not), no vsync control,
no contrast, brightness, saturation, hue controls,
unusually low maximum resolution (though that
might be normal for integrated graphics).
Looks fairly broken to me, though maybe they
just don't care about XVideo anymore.
Tamas Papp
2016-03-06 12:36:21 UTC
Post by Tamas Papp
[...]
Apparently the hardware itself is fairly new, the 4.3 kernel still
required i915.preliminary_hw_support=1. 4.4 does not, but rc6 is still
not working, etc. See
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Skylake_Support

I guess eventually it will be fixed. Now I understand that it has
nothing to do with Mplayer, and I have a workaround (-vo gl actually has
the lowest power consumption).

I would like to thank everyone for the help.

best,

Tamas